Discover insight about parental engagement, support and boundaries
Welcome back to another amazing episode of ‘Of Primary Importance’ – the must-see podcast series that explores all things EYFS and primary with different topics and special guests.
Kat Cauchi is joined by special guest, Sammy White. Recognised as one of ‘The EdTech 50’ for 2021, Sammy is a former maths teacher with experience in a wide variety of settings, including alternative provision (AP), further education (FE) and secondary. Currently, Sammy is a teaching and learning specialist at TextHelp.
In this episode, Kat and Sammy discuss: ‘Engagement, support and boundaries – relationships between parents and educators’.
Here are some of the questions that Kat asked Sammy:
- You are both a mum and an educator. Can you tell us a bit about if and how those things impact on your relationship with your children’s teacher?
- What kind of professional boundaries have you needed to set and how would you advise others to go about setting their own?
- As a parent, how do you feel schools engage parents well, and where do you see potential for improvements?
- What is the role of EdTech in parental engagement and how can schools best utilise this?
- Speaking of EdTech, you recently attended the Bett show! Can you tell our listeners a little about what Bett is and your experience there?
- Coming back to parental engagement, you wrote an article for R.I.S.E. Magazine about maths anxiety in parents. Could you talk a little more about what kind of anxieties you found parents have?
- Is parental anxiety in mathematics more common than in other subjects and, if so, why do you think that is?
- How can educators best support parents in overcoming their anxieties of supporting their child with maths?
- How can people contact you and find out more about what you do?
Want to connect with Sammy and Kat?
You can follow Sammy on Twitter at @WhatTheTrigMath. Also, check out her website and YouTube channel.
Connect with Kat Cauchi on Twitter at @ReallyschoolK. Check out #OPIP and #OfPrimaryImportance for more content. If you are interested on coming on the show or have a topic suggestion, send Kat a DM on Twitter.
Watch the full episode or listen back below.